Power Up Women in the Trades Conference
Celebrating Five Years! On February 27, 2014, ITA’s Women in Trades Training (WITT) initiative welcomed over 90 participants ranging from policy makers, employers, training and service providers, tradeswomen, and other stakeholders for a conference celebrating five years of WITT achievements, and focusing on priorities for hiring and retaining tradeswomen in BC.
Participants of the conference were given the chance to help prioritize recommendations from stakeholder groups around the province and other jurisdictions, provide feedback on new guidelines for best practices for employers, and discuss challenges, opportunities, BC tradeswomen fact.
The conference also featured a number of presentations from key stakeholders to help provide an overview of the landscape of women in the trades.
Take a look at our Visual Report (2.3MB pdf) for the findings, best practices and outcomes of the conference!
The five tradeswomen speakers who shared their journey into the trades and how they got to where they are today.
Check out more photos from the event on our Flickr page!
Conference Participants & Details
Click on the names to see a quick clip on Youtube of their presentation! Read the Conference Program (357KB pdf) for an agenda and details of the event.
- Dr. Susan Crichton, Director, Innovative Learning Centre, Faculty of Education, UBC Okanagan
- Cathy Minty, 3rd Year Apprentice Plumber
- Kelly Kienleitner, Red Seal Motor Winder, Red Seal Electrician and Instructor at the Electrical Joint Training Committee
- Mila Puharich, 3rd Year Apprentice Steel Fitter
- Louisa Robinson, Aircraft Maintenance Engineer
- Marigold Rondeau, Heavy Equipment Mechanic
Employer & Industry Expert Speakers:
- Jessica McIlroy, Executive Director, BC Women in Energy Network
- Campbell Black, President, Blackline Marine
- Graham Trafford, General Manager, Mott Electric GP
- Lesa Lacey, Business Manager, Lacey Developments Ltd.
- Randy Callaghan, Field Personnel Advisor, PCL Constructors Westcoast Inc.
Service Provider Speakers:
- Marlene Gurnham, Provincial Operations Manager & Faith Dempster, Regional Manager, Vancouver/Lower Mainland, BC Construction Association
- Jayna Wiewioroski, WITT Training Development Coordinator & Olaf Nielsen, Chair, Trades Development & Special Projects, Camosun College
- Nancy Darling, Program Administrator, Okanagan College
- Heather Hamilton, Manager, Industry & Contract Training & Pamela Fry, WITT Coordinator, Thompson Rivers University
- Arleen Dauncey, Program Coordinator/Instructor, Tradeworks Training Society
- Al Phillips, Executive Director, UAPIC
- Xochitl Hernandez, Program Coordinator, Vancouver Island University