ITA YOUTH DAY 2015
10 Years of Building the Trades Together!
Over 150 people came together at this annual event of discussing the trades, learning best practices, and relating experiences of students, employers and educators. Key note speakers from Road to Employment shared the experiences of youth across Canada in transition from school to work. They then provided some key programs and practices that help youth ease into this transition more successfully.
The Maker Movement inspired educators to take the Maker Philosophy into their schools and apply it across subjects; demonstrating how the arts and trades can work together. Showcasing creative spaces, project based learning and community involvement, the speakers showed educators applications and sample projects to try at their schools while providing more information on the philosophy and thinking behind this movement.
Representatives of industry shared overviews of their industry and their present and future labour market needs, in a round tables session. A discussion of career paths, employment needs, changes in technology or social trends effecting industry and the best way to prepare youth, was led by ITA Managers of Industry Relations or Apprenticeship Advisors. Both employers and educators looked for ways to work together and discuss their needs.
Educators then gathered into Fireside Chat sessions in which they shared ‘hot topics’ of importance to them. They discussed and generated ideas, solutions, and practices currently working well for their district, and then shared the results with the larger group.
Industry Round Tables
Please contact email@example.com if you wish to connect with the employers as below.
|Tourism||Amy Hamdorff, Recruiting Manager
Josh Campanaro, Regional Chef
Jeff Murray, Regional Chef
Joeys Restaurant Group
|Construction||Erika Pollmuller, Project Coordinator
Jim Dent Construction
Dimitri Margaritis, Superintendent
|Auto||Jason Leber, Training Specialist
Diane Evans, Manager of Industry Relations
|Manufacturing||Meghan Delmage, Human Resources Manager
Tycrop Manufacturing Ltd.
Udo Jahn, General Manager Modern Engineering Ltd.
|Auto||Ken McCormack, President & CEO
Automotive Retailers Association
Rob Lang, Owner
Richmond Motorworks LTD
|Marine||Dee Rakhra, HR Generalist
Ben Gartside, Owner and CEO
William Clewes, Director, Operations
- Ensuring a Good Future for Shop Class - Randy Grey
- Engaging Students to ACE IT and SSA - Roxanne Boyko
- Building Awareness of the Trades K-7 - Mark Marino
- Transitioning ACE IT’s to SSA - Murray McConnachie
- Creative Solutions for Hairdressing Hours - Terri Lockhart
- Strategies to ensure ACE IT students with learning needs succeed - Doug MacLean
- ITA Youth Programs - Blue Group Presentations
- ITA Youth Programs - Red Group Presentations
- Maker Movement - Why Making Matters - Emily Smith
- Maker Movement - Inspiring Spaces Create Inspired Students - Zee Kesler
- Maker Movement - Arts + Trades, Working Towards Interdisciplinary - Nathyn Sanche
- Maker Movement - Making in the Classroom - Sharissa Desrochers
- New learning resources
- Learning supplements
- Student Worksheets