Hiring an Apprentice: A Smart Business Move
Hiring an apprentice is a smart business move in more ways than one. One third of Canada’s workforce will retire in 2030. This means competition will get tough for employers looking to attract and retain good workers.
- Do you have the people you need for current projects?
- What about new projects, expansion, and economic growth?
- Are you planning for attrition as older workers retire?
Employing an apprentice can help you address all of these challenges.
The benefits of hiring an apprentice
The Canadian Apprenticeship Forum talked to employers across Canada about how hiring an apprentice benefited their businesses. Here’s what they said:
- Apprenticeship is a tried and true method of recruiting and maintaining talent.
- Apprentices become journeypersons with better health and safety performance, greater overall productivity, and fewer mistakes.
- Apprentices learn your business first. That means they learn the way you do things and the unique, specialized skills that best serve your business.
- A journeyperson who has done their apprenticeship with your organization will be a better fit, and will build good relationships with your customers.
- Employers with apprentices enjoy higher sales and profits.
- Employers receive an ROI of $1.47 for every $1 they invest in apprenticeship training.
Learn more about how apprenticeship pays