ITA has announced that it has formed the Manufacturing Sector Advisory Group, which is tasked with the essential role of advising government and ITA on industry-specific issues key to skills training.
The group will include members representing manufacturers with a history of championing and employing tradespeople. Like the diversity of the sector, the advisory group will include representation from small, medium and large firms from across key sectors of manufacturing such as building materials, food processing, and metal fabrication.
Manufacturing is BC’s third largest source of employment providing over 163,500 direct manufacturing jobs. The sector is the fourth largest contributor to provincial GDP (7.2 per cent) after retail, construction and real-estate. At more than 65 per cent, the industry remains the primary source of exports for BC. The sector is experiencing growth and 2014 has been a strong year for the province’s manufacturers.
The 15 members of the Manufacturing Sector Advisory Group include:
- Marcus Ewert Johns, Vice President, Canadian Manufacturers & Exporters
- Adam Van Steinburg, Business Manager & Financial Secretary, International Brotherhood of Electric Workers Local, 213
- Al Cyr, Business Representative, International Association of Machinist & Aerospace Workers
- Stephen Peel, Vice President, Ironside Design Manufacturing Inc.
- Sarah Mussell, General Manager, Mussel Crane
- Dan Reader, President, Murray Latta Progressive Machine
- Rick Gibbs, President, Neutron Factory Works
- Kristine Bovay, General Manager, Pacific Bindery Services
- Trevor Borland, CEO, Pacific Bolt Manufacturing
- Ben Hume, President, Sheppards Building Materials Inc.
- Meghan Delmage, HR Manager, TYCROP
- Mark Soares, CEO, Unifiller Systems
- Brian Harder, District 3 Staff Representative, United Steelworkers
- Perry McDougall, Vice-President, Goodwin Industrial Electric Ltd.
- Neil Black, Production Manager, Raute Canada
- Doug Bourne, Thunderbird Press