"Hairstylists" shampoo, cut, style and chemically treat hair. They may also provide other services such as scalp treatments and hairpiece services. In some jurisdictions, hairstylists may also provide additional services such as basic natural nail services, basic facial care and ear piercing.
The Hairstylist program is currently undergoing an update and the changes (outlined in the documents under “Program Information”) apply to all challengers and apprentices registered January 1st, 2016 and onwards. For those who remain in the existing model, please see the Program Profile for the previous model to review completion requirements.
As of January 4, 2016 the Hairstylist program requires the candidate to demonstrate competency in a practical assessment in addition to the written examination. The candidate must have achieved a minimum of 70% on the written exam in order to be eligible for the practical assessment. Details of the assessment criteria are contained within the Hairstylist Practical Assessment Information package. Please note that there is a fee attached to the practical assessment which is set by the assessment agency and will be approximately $500.
To book a practical assessment, contact North Pacific at:
Note: The Foundation program for this trade requires a 300 hour practicum in order to meet completion requirements. Instructors will need to fill out this form for each Foundation student and send in alongside their class marks.
The exam weighting chart is available for level 1 and shows the approximate percentage of weighting per General Area of Competency (GAC).
If you already have a certification in the Hairstylist trade and would like to attain the Red Seal certification, please see this flowchart for the challenge process that applies to you.
Some specific changes have been made to the Hairstylist program, please refer to OPSN 2016 020 for details.
- Program Profile
- Describes the requirements for apprentices and challengers to earn certification
- Download(PDF 175.89 KB)
- Program Outline
- Guidelines for delivery of technical training at ITA Recognized Training Providers
- Download(PDF 812.83 KB)
- Guidelines on Interprovincial (IP) Red Seal Examination
- Information guide about how to study for the IP Exam including sample questions
- Download(PDF 1.32 MB)
- Interprovincial (IP) Exam Table
- List of tasks that will be tested and number of questions on each task
- Download(PDF 28.7 KB)
Challenge Certification/Recognize Prior Experience
- How to Apply
- Download(PDF 66.01 KB)
- Application Form
- Personal information and exams scheduling information (for challenge option)
- Download(PDF 72.32 KB)
- Employer Declaration
- Document of relevant work experience
- Download(PDF 189.01 KB)
- Statutory Declaration
- Attestation for self-employment/work experience when employer cannot be contacted
- Download(PDF 209.17 KB)