Plumbers install, alter and repair the systems that keep our water and waste disposal systems running, and that provide many of the basic amenities we rely on day-to-day. They read and interpret blueprints and project specifications. Plumbers also select the type and size of pipe required for a project and measure, shape and join pipes according to the appropriate specifications. They sometimes alter structures to accommodate the pipes. Plumber is a nationally designated trade under the Inter-provincial Red Seal program.
Once pipes are in place, plumbers test for leaks. After installation, they maintain pipes to prevent or repair leaks. Some Plumbers also braze and weld metal. A Plumber's specialization is based on his or her knowledge of the substance being carried. For example, the handling of water is very different from steam, or chemicals, or natural gas. And residential plumbing is distinct from industrial or commercial work.
Plumbers often work in the construction industry, laying new pipe for buildings or doing extensive renovations to large buildings. Residential Plumbers install and repair plumbing fixtures, such as bathtubs, showers, sinks, and toilets, and appliances such as dishwashers and water heaters.
Plumbers use a variety of materials and construction techniques, including copper, steel and, (increasingly) plastic pipe. They also work with large cast iron and concrete pipes. Plumbers also sometimes make use of other related skill sets, such as a familiarity with basic welding and electrical work and a limited amount of gasfitting work.
February 23, 2016 - The plumbing codebook has changed from the BC Building Code to the National Plumbing Code of Canada.
The ITA Plumber Standardized Level Exams (SLEs) are now compliant with both the 2010 and 2015 versions of the National Plumbing Code. Please refer to OPSN-2016-017 for details.
The Exam Weighting Charts are available for Levels 1, 2, 3, and show the approximate percentage of weighting per General Area of Competency (GAC).
- Program Profile
- Describes the requirements for apprentices and challengers to earn certification
- Download(PDF 150.37 KB)
- Program Outline
- Guidelines for delivery of technical training at ITA Recognized Training Providers
- Download(PDF 839.65 KB)
- Guidelines on Interprovincial (IP) Red Seal Examination
- Information guide about how to study for the IP Exam including sample questions
- Download(PDF 1.32 MB)
- Interprovincial (IP) Exam Table
- List of tasks that will be tested and number of questions on each task
- Download(PDF 32.64 KB)
Challenge Certification/Recognize Prior Experience
- How to Apply
- Download(PDF 66.01 KB)
- Application Form
- Personal information and exams scheduling information (for challenge option)
- Download(PDF 141.77 KB)
- Employer Declaration
- Document of relevant work experience
- Download(PDF 137.88 KB)
- Statutory Declaration
- Attestation for self-employment/work experience when employer cannot be contacted
- Download(PDF 158.13 KB)