Plumbers install, repair and maintain plumbing fixtures and systems such as water, hydronic, drainage, waste and vent (DWV), low pressure steam, chemical and irrigation. They also install specialized systems such as medical gas, process piping, compressed air, water conditioners, fuel piping, sewage and water treatment, and storage and flow equipment. Plumbers interpret drawings, refer to layouts of existing services, and review applicable codes and specifications to determine work details and procedures. They locate and mark positions for fixtures, pipe connections and sleeves, and cut openings to accommodate pipe and fittings.
HARMONIZED PROGRAM INFORMATION - effective April 2019
|Program Profile||Describes the requirements for apprentices and challengers to earn certification.||Download (190 PDF KB)|
|Program Outline||Guidelines for delivery of technical training at ITA Recognized Training Providers||Download (1,126 PDF KB)|
|Exam Weighting Charts||The Exam Weighting Charts for the Harmonized level exams will be made available as the Harmonized level exams are launched.||Will be made available Fall 2019|
Please be aware that changes have been made to the Gasfitter - Class B program, please view OPSN 2018 002.1 for details.
February 23, 2016 - The plumbing codebook has changed from the BC Building Code to the National Plumbing Code of Canada.
The ITA Plumber Standardized Level Exams (SLEs) are now compliant with both the 2010 and 2015 versions of the National Plumbing Code. Please refer to OPSN-2016-017 for details.
The Exam Weighting Charts are available for the current program Levels 1, 2, 3, and show the approximate percentage of weighting per General Area of Competency (GAC).
For details of changes to the program and revised implementation date, please refer to OPSN 2018 001.1
- Program Profile
- Describes the requirements for apprentices and challengers to earn certification
- Download(PDF 150.38 KB)
- Program Outline
- Guidelines for delivery of technical training at ITA Recognized Training Providers
- Download(PDF 836.57 KB)
- Guidelines on Interprovincial (IP) Red Seal Examination
- Information guide about how to study for the IP Exam including sample questions
- Download(PDF 1.32 MB)
- Interprovincial (IP) Exam Table
- List of tasks that will be tested and number of questions on each task
- Download(PDF 32.64 KB)
Challenge Certification/Recognize Prior Experience
- How to Apply
- Download(PDF 66.01 KB)
- Application Form
- Personal information and exams scheduling information (for challenge option)
- Download(PDF 72.32 KB)
- Employer Declaration
- Document of relevant work experience
- Download(PDF 137.88 KB)
- Statutory Declaration
- Attestation for self-employment/work experience when employer cannot be contacted
- Download(PDF 158.13 KB)