A Construction Craft Worker (Labourer) works mostly on construction sites in residential, institutional, commercial, and industrial settings, including pipelines, utilities, hydroelectric dams, roadways, bridges, tunnels, shipyards, mining and railways. Construction Craft Worker (Labourer) tasks include site preparation and cleanup, setting up and removing access equipment, and assisting on concrete, masonry, steel, wood and pre-cast erection projects. They handle materials and equipment and perform demolition, excavation and compaction activities. They may also perform site safety and security checks.
The Standardized Level Exam (SLE) for Level 1 has been implemented on August 1, 2016. See OSPN 2016 010 for details.
The Exam Weighting Chart is available for the Level 1 and shows the approximate percentage of weighting per General Area of Competency (GAC).
If you sponsor apprentices but have never been certified in Canada, you may request to supervise and sign-off apprentices when they are ready to be certified. Please see the Program Update for details.
- Program Profile
- Describes the requirements for apprentices and challengers to earn certification
- Download(PDF 410.4 KB)
- Program Outline
- Guidelines for delivery of technical training at ITA Recognized Training Providers
- Download(PDF 754.75 KB)
- Guidelines on Interprovincial (IP) Red Seal Examination
- Information guide about how to study for the IP Exam including sample questions
- Download(PDF 1.32 MB)
- Interprovincial (IP) Exam Table
- List of tasks that will be tested and number of questions on each task
- Download(PDF 29.41 KB)
Challenge Certification/Recognize Prior Experience
- How to Apply
- Download(PDF 66.01 KB)
- Application Form
- Personal information and exams scheduling information (for challenge option)
- Download(PDF 144.8 KB)
- Employer Declaration
- Document of relevant work experience
- Download(PDF 218.74 KB)
- Statutory Declaration
- Attestation for self-employment/work experience when employer cannot be contacted
- Download(PDF 184.19 KB)