Automotive Service Technicians examine, test and repair the parts and systems on cars and light trucks. Automotive Service Technician is a nationally designated trade under the Inter-provincial Red Seal program.They often use computerized diagnostic equipment to test, adjust and repair key vehicle components such as engines, steering systems, braking systems, drive trains, vehicle suspensions and electrical systems. The work of an Automotive Service Technician also involves reassembling and testing repaired items against manufacturers' standards, as well as performing preventative maintenance such as wheel alignments, oil changes and tune-ups.
Challenge Certification/Recognize Prior Experience
If you have significant work experience in a trade but have never been certified in Canada, you may apply to challenge the certification.
If you sponsor apprentices but have never been certified in Canada, you may request to supervise and sign-off apprentices when they are ready to be certified.
As of 11th February 2013, the Automotive Service Technician (AST) program has changed. Apprentices will no longer have to complete mandatory work-based training hours at each program* level before progressing to the next level of technical training. Apprentices will still be required to pass the standardized CofQ exam at each level (minimum 70%).
*Please be aware that apprentices must report work-based training hours at each program level in order to receive a CofQ at that level. See the program update for complete details.
- Program Profile
- Describes the requirements for apprentices and challengers to earn certification
- Download(PDF 506.68 KB)
- Program Outline
- Guidelines for delivery of technical training at ITA Recognized Training Providers
- Download(PDF 1.24 MB)
- Foundation Outline
- Guidelines for the delivery of pre-apprenticeship training at ITA Recognized Training Providers
- Download(PDF 288.41 KB)
- Guidelines on Interprovincial (IP) Red Seal Examination
- Information guide about how to study for the IP Exam including sample questions
- Download(PDF 453.74 KB)
- Interprovincial (IP) Exam Table
- List of tasks that will be tested and number of questions on each task
- Download(PDF 21.59 KB)