Cook means a person who performs all phases of kitchen activities including the preparation and presentation of vegetables, soups, sauces, meat, fish and poultry, cold kitchen items; desserts, baking, pastry; basic menu planning/costing as well as knowledge of safety, sanitation and food storage, and who has a knowledge of human and customer relations. A Professional Cook 3 will have met all of the requirements of the national Red Seal standard for Cook. They usually work under limited supervision and will be competent at the major techniques and principles used in cooking, baking, and other aspects of food preparation. In addition to a sound set of cooking skills, a professional cook at this level should be able to plan and cost menus and recipes, and have an understanding of the communication skills that will be necessary to begin to take a leadership role in the kitchen.
As of 1st October 2012 the Professional Cook Challenge Pathway requires the candidate to demonstrate competency in a practical assessment in addition to the written examination.
Details of the assessment criteria are contained within the Cook Assessment Information package. Please note that there is a fee attached to the practical assessment which is set by the training provider conducting the assessment and may range between $350-$500. A list of assessment venues is sent to you with your approval to challenge.
Note: A VALID Foodsafe Level 1 Certification or equivalent is a pre-requisite to challenge this certification.
- Program Profile
- Describes the requirements for apprentices and challengers to earn certification
- Download(PDF 543.03 KB)
- Program Outline
- Guidelines for delivery of technical training at ITA Recognized Training Providers
- Download(PDF 1.17 MB)
- Guidelines on Interprovincial (IP) Red Seal Examination
- Information guide about how to study for the IP Exam including sample questions
- Download(PDF 1.32 MB)
- Interprovincial (IP) Exam Table
- List of tasks that will be tested and number of questions on each task
- Download(PDF 34.93 KB)
Challenge Certification/Recognize Prior Experience
- How to Apply
- Download(PDF 66.01 KB)
- Application Form
- Personal information and exams scheduling information (for challenge option)
- Download(PDF 144.8 KB)
- Employer Declaration
- Document of relevant work experience
- Download(PDF 541.85 KB)
- Statutory Declaration
- Attestation for self-employment/work experience when employer cannot be contacted
- Download(PDF 515.83 KB)