“Heavy Duty Equipment Technician” means a person who maintains, manufactures, overhauls, reconditions and repairs equipment powered by internal combustion engines or electricity and without limiting the foregoing, including graders, loaders, shovels, tractors, trucks, forklifts, wheeled and tracked vehicles of all types used in construction, logging, sawmill, manufacturing, mining and other similar industry.
As the new model of the Heavy Mechanical Trades program has been fully implemented, we have removed the old program documentation to avoid confusion. If you require a copy of the old program please e-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Those registering as apprentices or applying for challenge after September 1st, 2017 will be required to complete an increased number of work-based training hours (+360 for apprentices, +540 for challengers). This increase has come about as part of the Pan-Canadian Harmonization initiative. Please refer to OPSN-2017-010 and the Program Profile for full details. The Program Outline will be posted closer to the program launch date, September 1, 2017.
For Standard Level Exam breakdowns, please see the Exam Weighting Chart specific to your level.
- Program Profile
- Describes the requirements for apprentices and challengers to earn certification
- Download(PDF 188.54 KB)
- Program Outline
- Guidelines for delivery of technical training at ITA Recognized Training Providers
- Download(PDF 967.95 KB)
- Foundation Outline
- Guidelines for the delivery of pre-apprenticeship training at ITA Recognized Training Providers
- Download(PDF 527.5 KB)
- Guidelines on Interprovincial (IP) Red Seal Examination
- Information guide about how to study for the IP Exam including sample questions
- Download(PDF 1.32 MB)
- Interprovincial (IP) Exam Table
- List of tasks that will be tested and number of questions on each task
- Download(PDF 134.99 KB)
Challenge Certification/Recognize Prior Experience
- How to Apply
- Download(PDF 66.01 KB)
- Application Form
- Personal information and exams scheduling information (for challenge option)
- Download(PDF 72.32 KB)
- Employer Declaration
- Document of relevant work experience
- Download(PDF 143.38 KB)
- Statutory Declaration
- Attestation for self-employment/work experience when employer cannot be contacted
- Download(PDF 129.21 KB)