“Tower Crane Operator” means a person who operates tower cranes (including luffing jib and articulated jib tower cranes) to perform lifts and hoist loads, and has experience with rigging practices and procedures.
BC Crane Safety registration is required for all crane operators in British Columbia. Crane Operator certification in British Columbia is mandatory by virtue of the provincial Occupational Health and Safety Regulation (WorkSafeBC). BC Crane Safety Registration forms are available at www.bccranesafety.ca
ITA has launched a Red Seal program for Tower Crane Operators December 1, 2017. For details refer to OPSN 2017-020.
If you were registered in the Tower Crane Operator Program before December 1, 2017, page 10 of the Tower Crane Operator Transition Plan outlines the options for you to complete either program.
If you already hold a Tower Crane Operator BC Certificate of Qualification, your certification is still valid and no action is required. If you wish to earn a Red Seal Endorsement on your BC Certificate of Qualification, you may do so by writing and passing the Tower Crane Operator Interprovincial Red Seal exam. To apply, forms can be found here.
The Exam Weighting Chart is available for Level 1 and Level 2 Standardized Level Exams (SLE) and shows the approximate percentage of weighting per General Area of Competency (GAC).
To book a practical assessment, contact Fulford Certification.
If you have any questions, please contact ITA Customer Service.
- Program Profile
- Describes the requirements for apprentices and challengers to earn certification
- Download(PDF 168.36 KB)
- Program Outline
- Guidelines for delivery of technical training at ITA Recognized Training Providers
- Download(PDF 720.66 KB)
- Guidelines on Interprovincial (IP) Red Seal Examination
- Information guide about how to study for the IP Exam including sample questions
- Download(PDF 1.32 MB)
- Interprovincial (IP) Exam Table
- List of tasks that will be tested and number of questions on each task
- Download(PDF 53.63 KB)
Challenge Certification/Recognize Prior Experience
- How to Apply
- Download(PDF 62.31 KB)
- Application Form
- Personal information and exams scheduling information (for challenge option)
- Download(PDF 150.18 KB)
- Employer Declaration
- Document of relevant work experience
- Download(PDF 211.44 KB)
- Statutory Declaration
- Attestation for self-employment/work experience when employer cannot be contacted
- Download(PDF 234.02 KB)