The BC Maritime Employers Association led the consultation and recruitment of members of the Sector Advisory Group. This group brings together marine and shipbuilding professionals who have a history of championing and employing tradespeople, along with representation from small, medium and large-sized organizations from across key maritime industries. Representatives from shipbuilding and repair, terminal operations, naval fleet maintenance, marine transportation, port authorities, organized labour and the Aboriginal community are advisory members of the group.
The rising demand for exports across Western Canada is expected to significantly increase the utilization of current BC ports. Maritime Sector revenues are currently estimated to be $400 million as a result of improved economic activity, new government contracts and increased optimism surrounding maritime trade. As a result, 4,000 extra skilled workers and tradespeople will be required over the next 10 years to meet future job openings in the maritime sector.
The members of the Maritime Sector Advisory Group include:
- Phil Venoit, Business Manager/Financial Secretary, IBEW Local 230
- Mark Dixon, Chair, President, Babcock Canada Inc.
- Phil Nelson, President, Council of Marine Carriers
- Joe O'Rourke, Vice President & General Manager, Victoria Shipyards, Seaspan International
- Ian Baxter, Apprenticeship Manager, FMF Cape Breton Royal Canadian Navy
- Des Rogers, President, Federal Government Dockyard, Trades & Labour Council
- Andrew Hohert, Operations Manager - Fleet Maintenance Unit - BC Ferry Corporation
- Sandra Case, Vice President Human Resources, Port Metro Vancouver
- George McPherson, President, Marine Workers and Boilermakers Industrial Union
- Jay Mearns, Training Advisor, Musqueam Capital Corp
- Alex Rueben, Executive Director, IMTARC/WCSBRF
- Harry Wilkinson, Manager of Maintenance, DP World Prince Rupert
- Shelley McIvor, Managing Director, Quadrant Marine
- Willy Yung, Director, Engineering & Maintenance, Port of Vancouver
- Aaron Hoolsema, Vice President & Industry Training Coordinator, ILWU Local 502