"Hairstylists" shampoo, cut, style and chemically treat hair. They may also provide other services such as scalp treatments and hairpiece services. In some jurisdictions, hairstylists may also provide additional services such as basic natural nail services, basic facial care and ear piercing.
As of January 4, 2016 the Hairstylist program requires the candidate to demonstrate competency in a practical assessment in addition to the written examination. Details of the assessment criteria are contained within the Hairstylist Practical Assessment Information package. Please note that there is a fee attached to the practical assessment which is set by the assessment agency and will be approximately $500.
To book a practical assessment, contact North Pacific at:
Note: The Foundation program for this trade requires a 300 hour practicum in order to meet completion requirements. Instructors will need to fill out this form for each Foundation student and send in alongside their class marks.
August 2020: For details of changes to the program, please refer to OPSN 2020 008
Program Update: June 2020: Change to taking the ITA Standardized Practical Assessment
Program Update: Phase 5 implementation dates
The exam weighting chart is available for level 1 and shows the approximate percentage of weighting per General Area of Competency (GAC).
If you already have a certification in the Hairstylist trade and would like to attain the Red Seal certification, please see this flowchart for the challenge process that applies to you.
Some specific changes have been made to the Hairstylist program, please refer to OPSN 2016 020 for details.
- Program Profile
- Describes the requirements for apprentices and challengers to earn certification
- Download(PDF 155.62 KB)
- Program Outline
- Guidelines for delivery of technical training at ITA Recognized Training Providers
- Download(PDF 788.52 KB)
- Guidelines on Interprovincial (IP) Red Seal Examination
- Information guide about how to study for the IP Exam including sample questions
- Download(PDF 1.32 MB)
- Interprovincial (IP) Exam Table
- List of tasks that will be tested and number of questions on each task
- Download(PDF 28.7 KB)
Challenge Certification/Recognize Prior Experience
- How to Apply
- Download(PDF 171.16 KB)
- Application Form
- Personal information and exams scheduling information (for challenge option)
- Download(PDF 57.04 KB)
- Employer Declaration
- Document of relevant work experience
- Download(PDF 206.52 KB)
- Statutory Declaration
- Attestation for self-employment/work experience when employer cannot be contacted
- Download(PDF 289.04 KB)