“Tower Crane Operator” means a person who operates tower cranes (including luffing jib and articulated jib tower cranes) to perform lifts and hoist loads, and has experience with rigging practices and procedures.
BC Crane Safety registration is required for all crane operators in British Columbia. Crane Operator certification in British Columbia is mandatory by virtue of the provincial Occupational Health and Safety Regulation (WorkSafeBC). BC Crane Safety Registration forms are available at www.bccranesafety.ca
- June 2021: For minimum operating requirement clarifications, see OPSN 2021 007
- ITA has launched a Red Seal program for Tower Crane Operators December 1, 2017. For details refer to OPSN 2017-020.
If you already hold a Tower Crane Operator BC Certificate of Qualification, your certification is still valid and no action is required. If you wish to earn a Red Seal Endorsement on your BC Certificate of Qualification, you may do so by writing and passing the Tower Crane Operator Interprovincial Red Seal exam. To apply, forms can be found here.
The Exam Weighting Chart is available for Level 1 and Level 2 Standardized Level Exams (SLE) and shows the approximate percentage of weighting per General Area of Competency (GAC).
To book a practical assessment, contact Fulford Certification.
If you have any questions, please contact ITA Customer Service.
- Program Profile
- Describes the requirements for apprentices and challengers to earn certification
- Download(PDF 192.64 KB)
- Program Outline
- Guidelines for delivery of technical training at ITA Recognized Training Providers
- Download(PDF 782.46 KB)
- Interprovincial (IP) Exam Table
- List of tasks that will be tested and number of questions on each task
- Download(PDF 64.29 KB)
Challenge Certification/Recognize Prior Experience
- How to Apply
- Download(PDF 159.66 KB)
- Application Form
- Personal information and exams scheduling information (for challenge option)
- Download(PDF 173.84 KB)
- Employer Declaration
- Document of relevant work experience
- Download(PDF 275.65 KB)
- Statutory Declaration
- Attestation for self-employment/work experience when employer cannot be contacted
- Download(PDF 333.95 KB)