A Welder is a person who has training in and is capable of welding ferrous and non-ferrous metals in all positions, on both plate and/or pipe, using various welding processes. Certified welders qualify for testing with CSA, BCSA and for ASME procedures in British Columbia.
Certified welders will qualify to test for Pressure Welding Procedure tests in British Columbia (PWP), BCP-100. Pressure procedure tests are administered by Technical Safety BC (formerly known as BC Safety Authority).
Welders use a logbook to record training, competencies, certifications, endorsements and employment history. Please refer to the Welder Logbook Information Sheet for further details.
To help with the transition to the Harmonized Welder Apprenticeship program, ITA with the help of Industry and Welding Instructors has developed a checklist to identify an apprentice’s skill level prior to registering for technical training.
The purpose of this tool is to:
- provide information to apprentices, employer/sponsors and instructors throughout the welding apprenticeship,
- ensure apprentices have the skills required for success in technical training
- identify any skills that may be missing or not fully refined.
NOTE: Training Providers may request this new program support tool with an apprentice’s registration for technical training.
Optional Endorsement: The MPAW Endorsement enables a welder to weld specialised alloys, by any manual welding process, in any position, and such other work as is usually done by a Red Seal Certified Welder. *To register for this program you must hold either a Welder – Certificate of Qualification with Interprovincial Red Seal Endorsement OR a Welder B – Certificate of Qualification with Interprovincial Red Seal Endorsement.
For more information on the MPAW Endorsement please refer to the Welder Endorsement - Multi-Process Alloy Welding (MPAW) page.
Standardized Level Exams
- Program Profile
- Describes the requirements for apprentices and challengers to earn certification
- Download(PDF 185.39 KB)
- Program Outline
- Guidelines for delivery of technical training at ITA Recognized Training Providers
- Download(PDF 1.06 MB)
- Guidelines on Interprovincial (IP) Red Seal Examination
- Information guide about how to study for the IP Exam including sample questions
- Download(PDF 1.32 MB)
- Interprovincial (IP) Exam Table
- List of tasks that will be tested and number of questions on each task
- Download(PDF 39.17 KB)
Challenge Certification/Recognize Prior Experience
- How to Apply
- Download(PDF 260.34 KB)
- Application Form
- Personal information and exams scheduling information (for challenge option)
- Download(PDF 52.94 KB)
- Employer Declaration
- Document of relevant work experience
- Download(PDF 57.09 KB)
- Statutory Declaration
- Attestation for self-employment/work experience when employer cannot be contacted
- Download(PDF 72.4 KB)